As the seasons change, so do our reasons for celebrating. One of the most cherished Korean holidays in autumn, Chuseok, also known as Korean Thanksgiving Day, is a time for families to come together, express gratitude, and share in bountiful harvest feasts. At Dear Asia London, we believe in embracing cultural diversity and celebrating traditions from around the world. That’s why we invite you to join us in celebrating Chuseok with our exclusive Korean Sonpeong and Tea Tasting Workshop.
Chuseok, also known as Hangawi, is one of Korea’s most important traditional holidays. It typically falls on the 15th day of the eighth month in the lunar calendar, which corresponds to late September or early October in the Gregorian calendar. Chuseok is a time to give thanks for the harvest and honor ancestors through ancestral rites.
What is Sonpeong?
Sonpeong, a special Chuseok activity, involves making songpyeon, a type of Korean rice cake. Songpyeon is traditionally prepared with freshly harvested rice and filled with a variety of delicious ingredients, such as sweet sesame seeds, chestnuts, or red bean paste. These crescent-shaped rice cakes are steamed on a bed of pine needles, infusing them with a unique flavor and aroma.
At Dear Asia London, we’re excited to share the joy of Chuseok with you through our immersive Korean Sonpeong and Tea Tasting Workshop. Here’s what you can expect from this cultural celebration:
- Variety of Flavors: Experience the rich and delightful flavors of Sonpeong as we provide you with a diverse selection of these traditional Korean rice cakes. From sweet sesame seeds to chestnut and red bean paste fillings, our Sonpeong tasting allows you to explore a range of delicious flavors.
- Cultural Insight: While we won’t be making Sonpeong from scratch, our tasting session offers a unique opportunity to delve into the cultural significance of these crescent-shaped rice cakes during Chuseok.
By focusing on Sonpeong tasting, you’ll have the chance to savor the diverse flavors and cultural significance of these delightful treats without the need for hands-on preparation
- Korean Tea Selection: Our tea tasting session features a carefully curated selection of Korean teas. You’ll have the opportunity to savor traditional Korean teas such as green tea, barley tea (boricha), and sweet persimmon tea (sikhye).
- Culinary Exploration: Tea tasting isn’t just about sipping; it’s about exploring the unique flavors, aromas, and cultural significance of each tea variety.
- Learn About Chuseok: Our knowledgeable hosts will share the history and significance of Chuseok, making this celebration more meaningful and educational.
- Traditions and Customs: Discover the customs, rituals, and practices associated with Chuseok, deepening your understanding of Korean culture.
Celebration and Togetherness:
- Create Lasting Memories: Celebrate Chuseok with your colleagues, friends, or loved ones and create cherished memories together.
- Enjoy the Fruits of Your Labor: After the workshop, you’ll have the pleasure of savoring the sonpeong you’ve created, accompanied by a refreshing cup of Korean tea.
Let’s celebrate this important festival with our Korean Sonpeong and Tea Tasting Workshop. This immersive experience offers not only a taste of Korean culture but also a chance to come together, learn, and appreciate the traditions of Chuseok. We look forward to sharing this special occasion with you as we embrace diversity and celebrate the rich tapestry of global traditions. Happy Chuseok!